Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Internetus Interruptus


 
Oh man.

You'd like to think you are above all the other geeks out there who spend hours each day twittering, facebooking, blogging (those folks are the WORST), instagraming and then it happens to you...you get kicked off  the keyboard without due warning. No tapering off, no Methadone to make the withdrawal a tad easier...just cold turkey, no Cyberworld Connection.

A week ago today the horror started. I'd try to upload a picture and before I knew it I had spent the entire day watching this blue beach ball just spin and spin.

It's good to maintain hope you know.

The GK's were with us for a week and our routine is an hour of computer in the am. Needless to say they harbored some disappointment with the crash of mankind as we knew it. But they covered it well overall.  There were after all seven new kittens to play with.



So while the rest of the family went about their business, I called our Internet Provide who stated that yes indeed we had a problem and they understood my frustration and a technician would out the next day. So the GK's honed their pig herding skills.



 
 





Next day comes and no technician. I call our Internet Who Pretends To Be  A Provider and they say...A technician will be out the NEXT day. But guess what? You guessed it, I learned to make strawberry jam from scratch. It wasn't near as hard as I thought it would be. It got thick real fast and man did it taste great.

And oh yeah, no technician showed up, but the GK's improved their cow sorting skills.


As well as their equine snack feeding techniques.


So I again called our Internet Who Has No Business Calling Itself a Provider and said "HEY! You people are like...bad news." And they say, "we are so sorry and we take this so seriously and we are going to file an emergency work order and I promise you will get a call first thing in the morning."

Note: There is nothing I hate more than being "validated."

Of course I am mildly suspicious being as the next day is Fathers Day but guess what? I was correct. No phone call and no technician, but the GK's relearned the joy of playing in mud puddles. Well, it's mostly mud.

                        

And they decided to help more with milking. We're all for that since the boogers drink about 5 gallons a day of the stuff.


On Monday, no one shows up (I know...I was shocked as well) but late evening we discover the Internet actually works. Will miracles ever cease? We thought, "Hmmm, do we really need to tell the GK's ? I mean they seem to have taken it all in stride and the extra chore help around here has been fab.





 


But finally our guilt intervenes and we casually mention to them that Netflix is once again available. And now here it is Wednesday and I'm blogging again. But don't expect much in the way of Twitter. I stopped that about a year ago. Me? Limit my thoughts to just 140 characters? You wish!

7 comments:

  1. Amazing the amount of work that gets done when the internet is down. Speaking of which, I have a ton of stuff to do....and am blogging myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that having the internet at certain times of the day might be the way forward. It's the ultimate procrastination tool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's frightening to think how much we now rely on something that didn't even exist a few years ago. When I had my recent virus removed, my friend took my new laptop away with him to fix at home. I was without it for half a day, and felt as if I'd had a limb removed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. was managing nicely until I got into this blogging malarky. I now spend far too much time " just checking" what is going on in blogland. I was discussing with a friend which I would miss most, the car or the laptop ? No contest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Reminds me of when my grands come over (ages 1.5 - 5) and the first thing they do is grab the iPad and put in our passcode and hit net flicks! Sad really, can't wait until we get the house finished and we can entice them with things like chicks and gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like it ended up being a blessing for the GKs, as frustrating as it was for you! Glad you finally got it back. Your internet service provider reminds me of this story from my uncle:
    "I became confused when I heard the word 'service' used with these agencies.

    Internal Revenue 'Service'
    U.S. Postal 'Service'
    Telephone 'Service'
    Cable TV 'Service'
    Civil 'Service'
    State, City, County & Public 'Service'
    Customer 'Service'

    This is not what I thought 'service' meant.

    But today, I overheard two farmers talking and one of
    them said he had hired a bull to 'service' a few cows.

    BAM!!! It all came into focus. Now I understand what all those agencies are doing to us.

    Now you are as enlightened as I am."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly how you feel, Donna! I thought I wasn't addicted to the internet or computer as well, until I had to spend an entire week without it and my hands were just itching to check what was happening on my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. Haha! Anyway, I think you handled a week without the internet pretty well. The kids seem to have enjoyed it too. Ever since I found out about my computer addiction, I've realized that I would now rather spend a day outside instead of cooping myself up in a room, in front of a tiny screen. :)

    Cordia Remsen @ RBSMN

    ReplyDelete