Sunday, February 9, 2014

Winds of Change






Being in our 50's we understand the facts of life. Teenagers hate you. Produce goes rotten before the cookies do and it snows in Illinois in the winter.

But THIS winter had been over the top. Snow then freeze then thaw then rain then snow and freeze and thaw and sleet and more snow topped with a nice frosting of ice.

99% of the time the wind will come from the south east and the majority of shelters take this into account.

Which means even with bad winds our animals have good dry places to get out of the wind. Except when the wind shifts, like it has been lately and blows in through the open north sides of the barn.

Leaving us and them with indoor precipitation. Drifts in the barn etc...






We are so tired of this winter!

10 comments:

  1. This year, both sides of the Atlantic, everyone is saying how tired they are of this winter. Personally, I would swap some of our wet stuff for some of your white stuff right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, ordinarily I would say 'no' as mud is a major pain in the keister as well when animal tending BUT this year my keister is frozen to the ground and a mud bath sounds mighty tempting.

      Delete
  2. I hope you soon get relief. I was recently in Houston and even there it was extremely chilly. I had to smile at the produce rotting before the cookies comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I wish it was the banana's that went in my mouth first but my current potassium levels would prove otherwise. Plus those skins are just so hard to peel!

      Delete
  3. I know you are! We're tired of it, and we're in Georgia! My sympathies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. Sympathies accepted. I am also accepting shipments of electric blankets and hot (dark) chocolate.

      Delete
  4. Our winter has been drab, wet, and boring. No snow (thank god), no really low temperatures, and no serious inconvenience. I wonder what's round the corner? Late frosts I expect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drab...I miss drab winters. I yearn to be bored. Yawn.

      Delete
  5. For once the northwest of England has had the easiest weather in the land. Parts of England are a Biblical mess and the politicians are all in a tizz about who is to blame -- no one seems to be accepting 'an act of God' as an excuse. No one on this side of the pond really appreciates how extreme the weather can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, politicians who routinely never accept blame or accountability want to PLACE blame for something as uncontrollable as weather? They are so adorable aren't they?

      Delete