Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Merry Christmas and A Blog Break

“All good things arrive unto them that wait and don’t die in the meantime.”
Mark Twain

It's time.
After 3 years of steady blogging it's time to say goodbye.

Relax, take a deep breath, put down the stiff drink. It's only a short break and its not personal OK? I love you guys and cannot imagine my life without you. (Well I can but it would be bad PR if I said that)

The facts are this. In October 2010 I visited Ireland, alone, and started my novel. A story that has been burning a whole in my head for at least a decade. That week in Oughterard, County  Galway, all alone was amazing. I wrote all day every day. Hours and hours at a makeshift desk in this wee cottage. I took short breaks each afternoon to gather food and drink and enjoy the countryside.

I continued to write when I got home but progress was slow.  I let life get in the way. In the last 6 months though I've gotten serious about my novel and rewritten most of it. I am now finally at the point of near completion. How many times have I uttered those words? I've lost track.

My goal is to have it ready to send out to prospective agents by Feb.1 In addition I will be making changes and updates to this blog which definitely needs a face lift and a tummy tuck or three.

I am also planning a new blog which will focus on my novel, other writings and creative writing in general. I've been so inspired by other writers who have done this including a couple of local Chatsworthian authors, Kelli Lowery Beck  and Erin Beck.

To do all this I must cut out any extraneous distractions which, for now,include this blog and my personal Face book.  In addition there will be no more cooking, cleaning or TV watching for the next five weeks. No, I have not yet informed my husband of this. I figure best to wait until I'm SURE he's completed his Christmas shopping for me. I will continue to make brief posts to our Farm Face book Page.

So long then blog buddies. I'll see you on the other side of 2014, February 1 to be exact.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

12 comments:

  1. You've got a busy time away planned. Hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! We'll miss you, but get yer arse going on that book of yours. We'll be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonna miss your posts, Donna. But a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do. Hoping you the best in your book and other projects. Take care ... don't forget us. Merry Christmas and have a productive and prosperous New Year. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be here when you get back. Wishing you and the family a very Merry Christmas Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, this is both sad and exciting news all in one. I definitely agree about focusing on your book! I know how much work it is. Enjoy your blogging break and your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna and Keith, I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year. I am tipping my cup to you both and hoping that the sale of your farm happens in the near future. Donna, I am really looking forward to reading your book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh Donna! You'll be missed but we totally understand. Dang, I'm impressed, I have a novel that's floated around in my head for a long time as well. I wouldn't know where to begin (it was a dark and stormy night...lol) but someday I hope to do that. Can't wait to see the changes and hear all about it. Can you say break a leg to an author? Good luck and good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll miss you! But you go for it and get that novel done already! :) I'm so glad your break isn't forever, and I'll look forward to catching up with you in February . . . and reading your novel when it comes out! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, big surprises in store! Happy writing, Donna, and wishing you excitement and new vistas for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will be missed, Mrs. Farmwife! Enjoy your break~ I hope you come back in February with the announcement that you have too many book proposals to choose from. We'll all be able to say that we "knew you when...."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! You caught us! But what else do we have to do while the Polar Vortex is swirling around outside?!

    ReplyDelete