Friday, May 10, 2013

Shopkeep
























My great grandmother owned a wooden-floored country store in southern Indiana back in 1930-1960-s. I remember visiting it once at the age of 8. She was a mean old gal as she gave no special treats from her glass candy jars but she did give me a heavy broom with which to sweep off the front porch.

She had a rocking chair on that porch.



Now, nearly 50 years later it's my turn for a country store complete with rocker. ( a gift from my daughter years ago) I don't sell candy in there yet but I keep a stash for my grand kids in the house. When I give my 8 year old GK the broom to sweep the stores front porch she does it but not without the age old childhood mantra "Why me? Wesley's not doing anything"

Ah. yes, the country store. How I love mine. Measuring just 12 foot by 20 foot inside it could be bigger but it serves our needs well as is. Last week, I got a hair in my grass and decided to rearrange items that had been in the same place since we opened the store 3 years ago.




 
 So the counter moved from the east side to the west side , the old recycled display cabinet took the counters old place. The little egg frig was defrosted, cleaned and moved closer to the meat freezers. Soaps were moved away from window (great for wonderful smelling breezes but colors fade more quickly)

 


All items for sale were dusted and moved and spring flowers brought in. The floor was swept and washed and all the little ones hand prints and lip prints were washed off the freezer doors. Price lists were redone and hung closer to the calculator.



And the front porch was swept. Without complaint. Finally time to smell the roses , I mean tulips, I planted behind the store last fall.





Open Monday through Saturday 10-6  Closed on Sundays. No charge for rocker sitting.

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE your little country store. Wish I were closer as I'd swing on buy, get me some pork and RAW MILK & rock on your rocker for a spell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's adorable. I love rocking chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IABSOLUTELY adore that store..... I would KILL to own it...... Absolutely delightful x

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your shop Donna, and the story behind the shop!! Xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother had a country store with wooden floors when I was a child. But, she sold candy from a glass case. She gave me candy and ice cream. She lived in the back of the store. I loved that store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love American barns - I thought they were just like that on 'Barney' when the kids were small - much prettier than the Irish versions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the look of your store. I'd be a regular customer if i lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having been lucky enough to visit your nice and tidy little store, I appreciate all the hard work that went into its creation. One of these days I am going to walk into your store and you will actually be there! Love the rocker on the porch....

    ReplyDelete
  9. A charming playhouse that grew up and out! What a great place! Someday, I WILL find you.

    ReplyDelete